The Healthy Truth About Tequila
Tequila doesn’t just taste good, but it’s good for you. Of course we advocate for drinking responsibly, and like most things, moderation is recommended. Having said that, tequila benefits are aplenty! Also keep in mind that we’re not talking about bottom shelf tequila when it comes to soaking in real benefits. We’re talking about pure agave tequila, like our Mi Casa Anejo, Suavecito Blanco Tequila, or even our Marcanegra Mezcal.
6 Amazing Benefits
• Lowers Blood Sugar: Tequila is made with agavina, which comes from the agave plant. It triggers insulin production. Insulin is a hormone that is one of the main regulators of the glucose (sugar) levels in the blood.
• Helps Fight Cholesterol: Agavins lower triglycerides in the blood and levels of cholesterol. How? According to Everyday Health “it’s clear that the cholesterol-controlling benefits are due to soluble fiber, one of two types of fiber. Soluble fiber is found in the flesh of fruit such as pears and apples.” This also includes the flesh of the agave plant. Increasing fiber in your diet helps reduce your cholesterol levels.
• Helps with Weight Loss: Since agavins don’t raise the blood sugar levels, the calories pass through the system unused (unlike other alcohol sugars). So choosing tequila as opposed to other alcoholic beverages when you are drinking can help with your sugar intake. Tequila also happens to stimulate the metabolism and dissolves fats.
• Helps Put You to Bed: It helps calm the nerves and can even aid in inducing sleep for those who are sleep deprived. Of course we don’t suggest that you start drinking alcohol every evening to go to sleep. However, having a shot or sipping on tequila on the rocks every once in awhile to help with sleepless nights, is ok.
• Cleans your Colon: Researchers at University of Guadalajara in Mexico found agave to be a natural, more effective way to deliver drugs to the colon than conventional drug-carriers. According to the researchers, “drug delivery to the colon is an ongoing challenge to physicians. Many drugs are destroyed by stomach acids before they’ve had a chance to reach the intestine, where they usually are absorbed.” As it turns out agave is the ideal natural carrier of drugs for the colon.
• Probiotic: For those who don’t know, probiotics are the healthy bacteria that populate the intestines. Probiotics are responsible for most of our immune system and help our bodies keep a healthy balance. Agave contains probiotics, which means it helps boost your immune system. This is probably the reason why some people suggest having a little bit of tequila and honey or lemon when you have a sore throat or cold.
Tasty Tequila to Try
As you can see there are some amazing benefits when it comes to drinking tequila, benefits that extend the smooth flavorful taste that tequila has. Need to decide between which tequila to stock up on? We suggest Tequila Ocho Anejo, Mini Kah Tequila Anejo, and Metl Mezcal Blanco. Tequila Ocho Anejo is 100% blue agave tequila. This tequila is aged for at least one year for quality smoothness and complexity, which makes it perfect to sip on. Mini Kah Tequila Anejo contains aromas of coffee, chocolate, and tobacco created during a duration of two years in American white oak casks. For one last suggestion we like Metl Mezcal Blanco. It’s 100% pure agave azul double distilled, featuring herbal aromas, citric flavors, with honey vanilla foreshadows and leaves with a slight agave punch! You can order these, as well as wine and other types of liquors, on our online store. Enjoy! And as always remember to drink responsibly!